Delhi Public School established in 1949, functioned from a few tents pitched on the ground cleared from the onslaught of brambles. Today, spread over an area of about 15 acres of lush, green lawns, in the heart of the city, Delhi Public School is a co-educational day-cum-boarding school. The foundation stone of the school building was laid in 1956 by Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, the then Vice President of India. The impressive school building today comprises workshops, laboratories, a computer centre, audio-visual lecture rooms, libraries, swimming pools, squash courts, clinic, a book shop, the hostel and school canteen. The school functions under a registered society with eminent educationists, social workers and medical specialists. Mr. V K Shunglu, is at the helm of affairs of DPS Society as Chairman. Mr. Indrajit Seth is the Chairman, DPS Mathura Road. Mr.P.C. Rawal, Vice Chairman, DPS Mathura Road. Their selfless work along with that of other members needs no testimony.
Delhi Public School offers courses in Humanities, Commerce and Science. It prepares students for the All India Senior School Certificate Examination, conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education.
Keeping in view the ideals of democracy and our ancient culture, Delhi Public School strives to provide a system of education most suited to the needs of our society today. Stress on diverse methods of teaching for different categories of students, opportunities for shouldering responsibilities in school life, constant participation in games and sports, a wide range of cultural and co-curricular activities lend meaning to our school life. Thus, the end product is the harmonious, all round developed personality of our students poised on the threshold of life.